The Kingdom of Skyy
When creating a compelling character. It takes more than raw stats and a few powers, to really make a memorable character. So you have a race and a class picked out, that’s only half of your character. The best characters have personality, depth and a history. Here is a little survey that I have found helpful when I want to make a great and memorable character. Answer these questions as your character to help develop his/her personality and personal history.
- Describe yourself in ten words or fewer
- What do you think is your greatest strength?
- What do you think is your biggest weakness?
- What is your most distinguishing feature?
- Why did you choose an adventuring life?
- Which family members or friends do you hold most dear?
- What people, groups or objects hold your greatest loyalty?
- What career do you want to have one year from now? Five years?
- What place do you wish to visit?
- Consider your skills. How did you acquire them?
- What do you like to do when not adventuring or training?
- What magic items do you crave?
- Where do you enjoy hanging out?
- How do you want people to remember you after your death?
It’s all right if you don’t have specific answers to some of these questions. Maybe you can only think of a general answer; e.g. “what magic items do you crave?” perhaps you can’t think of a specific item, maybe you only crave a very powerful weapon, or if you do know something you want the answer could be “I want the Sword of Kas.”
Or, “what place do you wish to visit?” maybe you don’t know what you’re looking for exactly, the answer could be “I wish to go the domain of my deity” or “I want to travel to the top of the tallest mountain in the world.”
So even if you don’t know the exact answer a general or vague answer could do until your goals become more refined.